Travel Dates: June 9 – 21, 2018
Registration Deadline Extended to December 15!
Anatomia Italiana del Sud (of the South) invites you to explore Sicily, a Mediterranean island at the crossroads of cultures for 3,000 years. Examine ancient Greco-Roman depictions of the human form in sculpture, painting, and mosaic – including the body as a vehicle for religious expression in two Capuchin Crypts. Visit university anatomy museums in Palermo and Naples, as well as the ruins of Pompeii, a city covered with volcanic ash 2,000 years ago. Graduate credit available!
Three nights in Palermo, Sicily
After private transfers from the airport to the hotel, enjoy a Welcome Dinner in a typical Sicilian restaurant. Enjoy a full-day, guided private tour of Palermo, the capital of Sicily, a 2,700 year-old city that is rich with history, art, architecture, and cuisine.
Visit the famous Quattro Canti, Piazza Pretoria with the Fountain of Shame and the Palazzo dei Normanni, with its Palatine Chapel, Europe’s most ancient royal residence with portions dating back to the 9th century. Tour the Cathedral of Palermo that embraces Romanic, Norman and Baroque styles. Included is a mid-day stop at a traditional Sicilian farmer’s market with an authentic street-food lunch. Marvel at the Cappuchin Catacombs of Palermo where art, religion, and the human form are uniquely intertwined. Also enjoy a guided tour of the Monreale Cathedral, one of the greatest remaining examples of Norman architecture in the world. This site is also a National Monument of Italy.
A highlight of the stay in Palermo is a visit to the Department of Human Anatomy at the University of Palermo, where you will mingle with medical students and professors, and listen to a special lecture by Dr. Petti in an ancient dissection theatre.
One Night in Agrigento and One Night in Ragusa, Sicily
A two-day trip with stays in Agrigento and Ragusa begins with a Welcome Dinner in each city, and includes a visit to the quaint village of Burgio for a visit to the Museum of the Mummies. This venue is the second Capuchin Crypt of the Anatomia Italiana del Sud program and is also an unusual combination of religion, culture, and anatomy. Afterward, enjoy a tour of the Valley of the Temples, an archeological site that is one of the world’s most outstanding examples of Magna Graecia art and architecture. Also a National Monument of Italy, this area was identified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997. Spend the evening at Scala dei Turchi, one of the most beautiful beaches in Italy. Continuation to Ragusa for an early evening walking tour of the beautiful Baroque Ragusa Ibla district of the city.
Four nights in Taormina, Sicily
The travel to Taormina includes visits to two important cities. First, a stop in the Baroque city of Noto, then a visit of the Archeological Park of Siracusa. Noto is known for its contribution to the final flowering of Baroque art in Europe, and Siracusa for its amazingly well-preserved Greek ruins. Both locations are designated as UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Enjoy lunch at a traditional local restaurant in Ortiga, the historic center of Siracusa.
The stay in Taormina includes a Welcome Dinner, and plenty of time for personal exploration and relaxation. Opportunities for optional activities include a visit to the craters of volcanically active Mount Etna accompanied by a private guide. Another option is a private boat tour of the Bay of Taormina including Isola Bella, a natural preserve known as the Pearl of the Ionian Sea. Taormina also has an amazing ancient Greek theatre that you will find amazing. With Mount Etna on one side and the Mediterranean Sea on the other, this beautiful resort destination offers countless possibilities.
Day visit to Reggio Calabria
From Taormina enjoy a full-day roundtrip excursion to Reggio Calabria via private bus and ferry across the Strait of Messina to mainland Italy. Visit Museo Archeologico della Magna Graecia, one of Italy’s most important museums containing relics from the 8th century BCE as well as prehistoric times. Most importantly perhaps are the two stunning, full-sized ancient Greek sculptures known as the Riace Bronzes. These marvels demonstrate amazingly accurate anatomy and date back to the 4th century BCE. They were discovered off the nearby coast in 1972 by a snorkeler’s stroke of luck.
Three nights in Naples, Visit Pompeii
Relax during a private transfer to the Catania airport for the short flight to Naples. While in Naples, enjoy an excursion to the ruins of Pompeii at the base of Mount Vesuvius. The archaeological site at Pompeii is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The stay in Naples also includes a visit to the Anatomical Museum at the Università degli Studi della Campania Luigi Vanvitelli. This stunning museum is perhaps Italy’s largest and most impressive collection of historic anatomical artifacts that include medical instruments from Pompeii and a humerus from a skeleton assembled by Vesalius. Network with medical school professors as they provide a private tour of the facility. Guided tour of the Naples National Archeological Museum, considered the most important museum of its kind in Italy. This venue has an unparalleled collection of Greek, Roman, and Renaissance works including the most significant artifacts from Pompeii and Herculaneum.
The visit to Naples also encompasses a guided tour of the city center including Piazza del Plebiscito, the Royal Palace, and Teatro San Carlo, one of the oldest continuously active opera theatres in the world. Also enjoy visiting the historic center of Naples that includes the artisan’s district of San Gregorio Armeno, as well as the Chapel of Sansevero with its wonderful statue of the Veiled Christ, and the Anatomical Machines. Of course also enjoy Pizza Napoletana, a flavor that is renowned worldwide! The final event of the program, is an Arrivederci Italia Dinner in Naples. After breakfast and hotel check-out the following morning, enjoy a common private transfer to airport.
Enjoy below a virtual tour of the Anatomical Museum at the Second University of Naples! Visit this fascinating venue with Anatomia Italiana del Sud 2017!
- Twelve night accommodation in premium location at highly comfortable hotels in double bedroom with private bathroom.
- Morning buffet breakfasts rich with local fresh produce.
- Four dinners mostly with wine.
- Five lunches some with wine.
- One wine tasting in Sicily.
- Private guided tours in Palermo (2), Monreale, Agrigento, Ragusa, Noto, Siracusa, Taormina, Reggio Calabria, Naples (3) and Pompeii.
- Entrance tickets to all museums and venues visited.
- Transportation with highly comfortable private coach. Round trip ferry boat ride across the Strait of Messina to Reggio Calabria. Economy flight ticket from Catania to Naples.
- Minimum two people transfer with private driver from/to airport – hotel on arrival and departure days.
- City Tax at all hotels and tax and tips for all services included.
- Full time Professional Tour leader along with local assistance.
- Scientific expertise at didactic venues provided by Prof. Petti.
Package Does Not Include:
- Meals, drinks or extras in the hotels or where not mentioned.
- Travel insurance.
- Flight tickets from/to U.S. Special Note: Do not purchase airline tickets until the program is confirmed as fully enrolled. That information will be communicated separately.
Price, Payments, Terms and Conditions:
- The price of the package as described in the Travel Program is US Dollars 4,995 per person in double room accommodation based on a group of minimum 16 participants. Accommodation in single room has an extra charge of USD 995.
- A non-refundable deposit of USD 500 per person is required to plan arrangements and will be deducted from the final amount. Deposit is required with registration.
- A second payment of USD 2,500 is required to confirm reservations by January 15, 2018. The booking is only confirmed after this payment is received.
- The balance is required by March 15, 2018.
- The above price and conditions refers to the group travel plan only. Additional individual travel services will be quoted and arranged separately.
- Please make all payments by check. Payments by credit card will be processed via PayPal and will be charged 3.5% of the amount. Payments are accepted in US dollars only.
- Checks can be sent to: Exclusively Italian LLC, 415 Laurel Street, PMB 220 San Diego, CA 92101
The above travel program is tentative and subject to change due to uncontrollable circumstances.